We live in an era where children’s health is not being given the number one high priority that it deserves. Lifestyle diseases are increasing at a high rate as a result of health negligence. It is unfortunate that with the advancing technology, many children resort to staying indoors, mostly on the couches playing computer games and other technology related activities. This kind of a relaxed indoor lifestyle is what encourages children to be less active physically.There are some health issues which are totally in your control where as there are others that you can do less about. It is important to take your health in your control by starting with the basics. Children are at a high risk of getting health complications if they are not incorporated on a routine that keeps them physically active.
Risks of physical inactivity in children
1) Increased chances of being overweight and or obese – Being physically inactive means that the body accumulates and stores a lot of calories, yet so little is done to burn them. Engaging in physical activity makes the body burn excess calories hence reducing the chances of body weight issues. Trying to burn calories when they have accumulated for so long is a tedious problem which in most cases breeds to other cholesterol related complications.
2) Physically inactivity increases blood sugar levels leading to diabetes – Children who suffer from diabetes are even at a higher risk of slow recovery if they stay physically inactive.
3) It lowers self-esteem and self-confidence – Physical inactivity makes children feel bad and less confident about their bodies. Children who do not feel good about their appearances tend to loose belief in themselves, making them hold themselves down. This results in children keeping to themselves and avoiding social gatherings at all costs
4) It causes slugging growth and development in children – A child who is less active stands a high chance of developing at a slow rate compared to their counterparts who are physically active
Physical activity does not to be painful. For children, the secret is to incorporate short activities to be done through the day which makes it even more fun. Flexibility and creativity is core in ensuring that the children get physically active. Being rigid draws a serious and not fun kind of energy which can make children see the activities as a duty
Activities to help children stay physically active
- - Running
- - Hiking
- - Dancing
- - Rope skipping
- - Sit ups
- - Swimming
- - Biking
- - Playing indoor and outdoor games
- - Jumping on a trampoline
All these are some of the fun activities to engage children on and help them be active. Depending on the age of the child, getting a child to engage in these physical activities could be as easy as playing with them. There is always an option for everyone.
The most important way to naturally help your children stay physically fit is by playing their physical mentor and role model. A child will be more motivated to stay physically fit if they see the people around them leading by example. Besides leading by example, encourage children to spend some time of their day outdoors. A child support contact comes in handy for people who find it hard to engage their children in physical activities.